Sunday, January 7, 2018

How I Got My Own Stars

I got the idea I'd watch the stars, so I went out into the backyard clutching a small book to see them.

I couldn't see much, only the Big Dipper, there were too many lights.

I got a tiny spyglass so I could see more stars.  It didnt work, it was too shaky and I couldnt see anything

So I saved and saved and got a larger department store telescope.  Now I could see some nebulae and a bright galaxy or two, but the city lights were too bright.  It was cold in the winter.  It was hot in the summer. I couldnt stay up late.

I still couldnt watch the stars very well.  I remembered once on vacation way out in the country I had really seen the stars, but I couldnt bring them home with me.

Then one day I got an idea.  I took a cakebox from the bakery, punched holes in it with a safety pin, and put a small light under it in my darkened room   I saw stars!

I made a small dome in my closet with poster board.  I punched more stars.  I saw the Big Dipper again, only now I could see it whenever I wanted.  No late nights.  No city lights.  No cold winters or hot summers.

Then came life ..   high school, college, marriage, a house, jobs, a son ..  and my star dream slept until I moved to this small farm.  Then I remembered my star dream.

I got a bigger telescope and went out, but the same problems were still there.

City lights.  Early jobs.  Cold winters.  Hot summers.   And then I remembered that cakebox in the closet.

And I remembered saying in my own dark .. I see stars!

And so I built and drilled and learned and experimented and tested and developed until one day I went into my own little building out in my backyard..

And in my own dark I flipped a switch.

And I almost shouted with joy.

NOW.  After all these years ..   I had my own .

I had my own stars. 

Do you want to see them? 

3 comments:

Richard said...

Very interesting concept, home planetariums. Do you build them, or buy them? thanks

Gare said...

Well you can do several things, but the HPA is primarily concerned with building.

the star barn said...

We all want to see stars but don't hit me on the head those are the wrong kind.