Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Elusiveness

Elusiveness

We can spend our lives in so many pursuits, it makes the ancient world pale in comparison. So why do we yearn BACK to the ancient world?

Try to imagine the original 7 wonders. Who among us wouldn't give anything for a digital image of the Colossus at Rhodes?

Yet would it do well on the strip of Vegas today?

I've been blessed to win two trips to Hawaii. It brought home the concept of elusiveness. For it is to me, a midwestern boy who was taken to the Rockies once growing up, was taken to Florida once in his youth, and finally flew to California in his dream job (now long gone, a victim of downsizing) So Hawaii for me joins California, Yellowstone, Panama City, in my memories of elusiveness.

Hawaii! Who knew the world was this big?

To stand upon an island and gaze south, and know there is no land until Antartica.

This is heady stuff for a boy from Illinois.

Its like those crossroads Tom Hanks stands upon at the end of CASTAWAY .. turn left and its Japan etc

And the images from that movie linger - one day I was sent a sail .. some wings ... and I flew..
who gazes on the Magellanic Clouds and wonders why Magellan had to die on a beach in the phillapeans?

But I'm talking about elusiveness.

FIND IT in your own life if you can.

It will enrich you. A planetarium allows that. Suspends disbelief

Takes me back to that kid sitting in Adler

Where does it take you? What is elusive in your life?

Pink Floyd sang it best ...

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown the dream is gone

Let us not, as they went on to sing
Grow 'comfortably numb'

Let us chase that 'city on the hill' gleaming there
Frodo saw it .. the moonset over Gondor .

Our stars have it .. we can see the Northern ross sink upright into long ago seas

Peltier saw his observatory slit give way to a kitchen window of long gone skies in 'Starlit Nights
'
let us forever if we can and God allows

Chase 'elusiveness'

and may we never quite catch it.

you know why

No comments: