Monday, April 7, 2008

Where No Home Planetarian Has Splashed Before

Ol Sumner Skies Planetarium has a new problem related to 'space' - I came into my theater after 3 inches of rain and found half the rug on the floor soaked! Then I noticed a stream of water coming down the wall in the northwest.

Now the problem is, I built the dome right out to the walls and roof - in other words, I enclosed a space as big as I could and then built the dome inside as big as I could, resulting in relatively inaccessible areas around the perimeter - ie.. where the leak apparently is!

So now I face choices .. do I attempt to locate and repair the leak from above? Options range from trying to tar the seams, to stretching 4 mil plastic sheeting over it, or even building another whole roof over the existing roof. This isn't a roof you can climb up on mind you - I used metal trailer skirting sheets over a thin frame. Possibly I might have to tear out a wall and try to see where its coming IN and perhaps spread plastic sheeting across the roof from the inside, diverting the trickle of water to the outer wall. I hate the thought of that!

Infrastructure didn't concern me much, now im paying. Fortunately no equipment is in the line of fire, but for an amateur out in the elements, it may well be wise to consider NOT leaving your equipment uncovered when not in use. Expect the unexpected in other words.

I didnt have this problem with the lean to shed (in my earlier 9 foot theater, attached to the back of my large old barn) - it had a much steeper angle and was straight, not round. Round roofs bring new difficulties it seems.

So there are practical lessons here - accessibility - infrastructure - building something with an eye to the ability to repair it should (and when) things go wrong. I even know I've had animals in there - the evidence has been unmistakable. Anyone whos ever had to try and find a deceased racoon in a barn knows what I'm talking about.

So the bottom line is this as I contemplate going after the intruding water. Beware inacessible spaces, roofs, tight places. Try not to build something you can't reach later, because invariably, you'll have to !

Some areas it may not so good to pioneer, but the leaky roof home planetarium seems to be one I'm boldly splashing into.

Where no home planetarium has splashed before!

No comments: