Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Unicorn's Brighter Than Yours!

My Unicorn, the constellation Monoceros to be exact, is way too bright compared to the real one. Sue me. But I made my own planetarium, overdrilled the holes of this normally very obscure, faint constellation, and its way more obvious in my own 'night sky' than in mother natures. And I've come to think maybe thats a good thing. This realization hit me after I drilled and drilled starholes into my cylinder projector, waited about a week, went out to my theater and ... I got lost in my own sky. I realized then I really only knew a handful of 'greatest hits' constellations.

So my sky isn't perfect. Its got quirks, like its creator. I suppose these conversations never take place about planetarium night skies anymore, if indeed they ever did. I know I've never seen comparison charts on how this projector and that projector's Orion look, side by side. Today I doubt if most would know if an entire constellation were missing. But when I start giving shows, I want to assume the kids know Orion. I want to teach them about that unicorn, and he needs to be easy to see. Not too easy - I wont project up some fanciful picture over the stars .. but my stars will be a little easier in places to identify. I can't take credit really - I overdrilled them and left them as is.

So my unicorn might be brighter than yours. And thats not a bad thing.

No comments: