Friday, May 11, 2012

How the Stars Were Won


I'm developing a book on this subject and this is the opening paragraph, or at least the first draft of How the Stars were Won! When I tell people 'I built a planetarium out behind my barn' and invite them out on some sunny day to see the stars, I get one of three reactions. By far the most common is a blank look - perhaps a vague recognition that anything ending in 'arium' can't be good. Sounds medical even, and not in a good way. Some people will pretend to know what I just said and, in their empathy and kindness, replay 'great, wow', and then quickly change the subject. Only about 2 in 100 though will stare a second, realize what I just said, and want to know more. More about HOW I made a planetarium, which assumes they know WHAT a planetarium is. And how hard it must have been. How that particular battle was fought. They want to come out and see this arcane feat of imagination and complexity. They want to see how the stars were won. Brought down from their heavenly firmanent and put within our reach, to wheel and dance for our pleasure and education. I want to share that story with you here. Possibly because you might build a planetarium for yourself. But at least so that if we meet, you'll be in that 1 or 2 percent that will say.. show me!

No comments: