Thursday, May 10, 2012

Whats Your Crazy Childhood Dream?


In wondering why I build planetariums, domes, theaters, I keep coming back to this - I had alot of crazy childhood dreams that never made it off the drawing board of the mind. Never leaped off the dusty shelves of long forgotten rooms and found me where I was today. Why planetariums? Growing older is perhaps an oxymoron, I noticed this in my father as he aged. The older he got, the earlier were his memories, and in greater detail. While he couldnt remember the past 20 years much at all (alarming!), he would out of nowhere tell me details of things from his childhood I'd never heard the man utter. So perhaps, as we grow older, we also grow younger. Maybe we NEED to clutch, like some symbolic teddy bear, something of those young halycon days and take it with us. The subject is fraught with cliche, mid-life crisis fueled sports cars and hair colorations. Yet if we do it right, that teddy bear - that crazy childhood dream .. can live with us forever and keep us impossibly tethered to that world we loved. That land we knew of childhood fantasy and dreams. Maybe thats why I build planetariums.

No comments: