Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lessons from Dr Frankenstein - Creating and Loving Your Own Monster


I finally read Mary Shelleys original 'Frankenstine', at last figuring I was letting Hollywood shape my literary roots instead of well you know, actually READING a classic or two. So naturally, this had to be applied to Planetariums, because.. it just does! Building a planetarium in a sense IS creating a monster. Assembling parts from places as obscure and arcane as Shelley says the prototype monster of all monster was created .. graveyards .. do you we not plunder the bygone junk yards of technology gone by? Dissecting rooms ... I have Spitz body parts littered throughout my infernal workshops.... And so I patched together this theater of wonder .. this room of dreams .. but now I wonder, is it indeed a monster? The reading in the original Frankenstine grows grimmer than I expected. The monster runs amuck and kills those who the good doctor loves .. Chases him, and he chases back in a kind of obsessive game of tag. Has this happened with my 'monster', this obscure dream that took on shape as this 8 foot moving creature. Do I obsessively chase it, or is it chasing me? Has it really been all good and in no part stifling to my other loves in some capacity? I know not that answer yet. But its out there now .. I find its uses to be thus far without end. It came to be, Frankenstine like, with a jolt of electricity - very low wattage in this case, but still the parallels are eerie. Dr Garenstein? What exactly HAVE I created? Its worth pondering...

No comments: